Another clumsy end to a GP but F1 gets away with it
What a load of nonsense. Restarting a grand prix when the cars have completed 56 of the scheduled 58 laps was ridiculous, although – as our debate on page 13 shows – not everyone shares that view.
At least we ended up with the correct result, apart from the incredibly unfortunate Alpine squad, which deserved rather better from the weekend than two extensive car rebuilds. Of course, as we explain on p4, it took several hours to untangle the mess last Sunday.
On track, the prowess of Red Bull’s RB19 was once again on display. Mercedes was stronger than expected, Ferrari weaker, but either way Max Verstappen could a˜ord to have one of his less stellar weekends and still come away as an easy winner. It was nice to see him and Lewis Hamilton traverse a corner side by side without crashing (notwithstanding Verstappen’s daft and misguided comments about it), but otherwise the Australian Grand Prix underlined how much work the rest have to do to catch Red Bull. Next week, we delve deeper into the RB19 to try to explain what makes it so good.
Closer was the Texas duel between Josef Newgarden and Pato O’Ward. David Malsher-Lopez was there to see Penske beat McLaren (p32).
The UK racing season is gathering momentum. As well as our reports from last weekend’s action (p62), Stefan Mackley looks ahead to what could be the best British GT season ever in his preview (p48) and we hear from some of the potential GB3 frontrunners (p52).
NEXT WEEK 13 APRIL
Secrets of Red Bull success We take a look at Formula 1’s benchmark team and start our Le Mans 100 celebrations
Have your say, get in touch
Autosport editorial Autosport Media UK Ltd
The Power House Isleworth TW7 6QG
E-mail autosport@ autosport.com
Visit our website autosport.com
Twitter twitter.com/ autosport
Facebook facebook.com/ autosport
Instagram YouTube instagram.com/ youtube.com/ autosport AUTOSPORTdotcom
Cover images Glenn Dunbar/Simon Galloway/ Motorsport Images
PIT & PADDOCK
- Controversy over Australian GP restart
- More Formula 1 rule tweaks
- IndyCar oval aero set-up proves a hit
- Tandy in third Porsche 963 for Le Mans
- Debate: should Oz GP have restarted?
- Opinion: Tom Howard
- Opinion: Marcus Simmons
- Australian GP report and analysis
- Newgarden pips O’Ward in Texas
- World of Sport: Formula 2; Formula 3; Australian Supercars; NASCAR; MotoGP
- British GT season preview
- The key players in GB3 for 2023
- Champ Smiley gets new Civic for TCR UK
- Keen to deputise for Gounon in Brit GT
- Aussie Hyper Racer to debut in Mono
- Opinion: Stephen Lickorish
- National reports: Donington Park; Brands Hatch; Oulton Park
- What’s on this week
- Top five: Le Mans one-o˜ winners
- From the archive: 1954 Belgian GP
- My favourite team-mate: Yannick Dalmas
- Special deals for Autosport
For other ways to read Britain’s best motorsport weekly