Rat race, p33
Sums of anarchy, p30
Publicity hound, p18
BOOKS & ARTS
22 James Walton
Victory City, by Salman Rushdie
24 Daisy Dunn
Battle Elephants and Flying Foxes, by Caroline Freeman-Cuerden
My Father’s House, by Joseph O’Connor
25 Mia Levitin
Muppets in Moscow, by Natasha Lance Rogoff
- Mark Bostridge Nightingale’s Nuns and the Crimean War, by Terry Tastard
- Laurel Berger One Hundred Saturdays, by Michael Frank
- Maggie Fergusson Stone Will Answer, by Beatrice Searle
29 Oliver Balch
Masters of the Lost Land, by Heriberto Araujo
30 Michael J. Barany
A New History of Greek Mathematics, by Reviel Netz
32 Olivia Potts
You Are Not Alone, by Cariad Lloyd; Jack and Me, by Cosmo Landesman
Rat Scabies on life after punk rock Revd Steve Morris
Chalk, Wood and Water
38 Classical music
Sam Smith: Gloria
Sound of the Underground;
The Last of Us; Fauda
41 Australian Arts
- High life Taki Low life Jeremy Clarke
- ‘Shibui’: a poem
- Real life Melissa Kite Bridge Susanna Gross
- Aussie life Michael Scammell Language Kel Richards
AND FINALLY . . .
- Chess Luke McShane Competition Lucy Vickery
- Crossword Pabulum
No sacred cows
- Toby Young
- Battle for Britain
- Michael Heath
- Roger Alton Your problems solved Mary Killen
- Tanya Gold Mind your language Dot Wordsworth
- Honouring Australia Day Empower the people David Flint
Nigel Biggar discusses the morality of colonialism with Matthew Parris on p14. He is the emeritus professor of moral theology at Oxford University.
Svitlana Morenets was an award-winning journalist in Kyiv before last year’s invasion. She gives a
Ukrainian perspective on the war on p8.
Daisy Dunn, who writes about animals in the ancient world on p24, is the author of books on Homer and Pliny and a history of Oxford between the wars.
Mark Bostridge writes on p26 about warring factions of nuns nursing during the Crimean War. He is the author of Florence Nightingale: the Woman and Her Legend.
Michael J. Barany is a senior scholar of the history of science at Edinburgh University. He writes about ancient mathematics on p30.