ON THE COVER: TILLA CROWNE; ALAMY; ROMAN MAERZ; SOPHIE HERXHEIMER; DANIEL KAMINSKI
C ONTENT S
4YOUR SAY… Readers’ rants, raves and views on the October issue of JR.
- WHAT’S NEW Lives changed forever – Ukraine one year on; Mike Leigh on why Hampstead Theatre matters.
- FEATURE Gheytanchi on growing up in Tehran. Unveiling Iran: Elham
- FEATURE the fine line between Holocaust Gerald Jacobs explores justice – and revenge.
- PASSPORT Abulafia uncovers the hidden world Southern Italy: David of Italy’s Sephardi heritage; Lara Feigel on the writer Natalia Ginzburg; the camp at Ferramonti; Serrastretta’s mountain synagogue; the food of the glorious south.
- THEATRE and Henry Goodman discuss Tracy-Ann Oberman Oberman’s new, female Shylock, Cable Street and protest on the eve of a new production of The Merchant of Venice.
- FILM Stigter about her powerful new film Naomi Gryn speaks to Bianca Three Minutes – A Lengthening.
- MUSIC East & West is coming to London. The Jerusalem Orchestra Get ready for the sound of the ‘new Middle East’, says Danielle Goldstein.
- ART as a centre of gambling, carnival Shaul Bassi celebrates Venice and a re-telling of the Purim story of Esther.
- BOOKS Berlin and Steven Spielberg, plus Etgar Keret on his mother, a new short story; Hugh Brody’s Arctic journey; Rudolphina Menzel, the Freud of the dog world; the Kindertransport heroes.
- THE YIDDISHISTS that uncovers the YIVO archive. Our series This issue: The dolls from Italy’s DP camps.
- SEPHARDI RENAISSANCE Queen Shoshana reigns on; Michael Frank uncovers the vanished world of Jewish Rhodes.
- WHAT’S HAPPENING month guide to art, books, film, Our three-music, theatre and other cultural events in the UK, Europe and Israel.
- FAMILY rounds up activities for all the family. Purim is here! Dani Silver
- MEET THE READER Mouyal in London’s Hendon. Guila Vaz