ON THE COVER: RICHARD SCHOFIELD; FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE YIVO INSTITUTE FOR JEWISH RESEARCH; INTERNATIONAL CENTRE FOR LITVAK PHOTOGRAPHY; DOROTHY BOHM; CONTENTS: ELEVATION PICTURES/IMAGE COURTESY OF UK JEWISH FILM FESTIVAL; ©THE LUCIAN FREUD ARCHIVE. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2022/BRIDGEMAN IMAGES/COLLECTION OF THE FREUD MUSEUM LONDON; ©DIANA MARA HENRY; TOAN TRINH
4YOUR SAY… Readers’ rants, raves and views on the summer issue of JR.
- 6 WHAT’S NEW New culture hubs for Brighton and Melbourne; Peter Falush; Israel’s ‘disappeared’ children.
- FEATURE Jewish novelists? David Herman and Where are our British Aviva Dautch on the Wingate Prize.
- FEATURE émigrés who helped shape the BBC. Daniel Snowman on the
- PASSPORT Kaliningrad: uncover the saga of a Lithuania and Kaunas family album and the story of the ghetto book smugglers; join a Vilnius city walkabout and meet the writers, artists and activists of a community finding new energy.
- FILM Howard reviews the animation film UKJFF is back! Pamela Charlotte; Peter Watts speaks to Orit Fouks Rotem, the director of Cinema Sabaya.
- MUSIC has written his memoir, which is also The violinist György Pauk a history of the violin, says David Conway.
- THEATRE the best shows to see at this Judi Herman spotlights autumn’s Tsitsit festival; Julia Pascal on the radical – and cartwheeling – Eleanor Marx.
- ART the deeply personal family paintings Martin Gayford investigates of Lucian Freud.
- BOOKS Friedlander in conversation; Joan Omer and Saul Silber on the writer and activist Grace Paley; Dorian Lynskey on a Latvian war mystery; Lucy Raitz on Proust’s Jewish identity; and little-known tales from the Yiddish East End.
- THE YIDDISHISTS that uncovers the YIVO archive. Our series This issue: The ‘zamler’ network.
- SEPHARDI RENAISSANCE Ira Klein on his new Ladino project; Helga Abraham reviews Karaoke, a film that takes the lid off Israeli Sephardi life.
- WHAT’S HAPPENING three-month guide to art, books, Our film, music, theatre and other cultural events in the UK, Europe and Israel.
- FAMILY Jewish Children’s Book Awards. Peter Watts reports on the
- 66 MEET THE READER Lawrence Collin in Westcliff-On-Sea, Essex.